Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Toast and Lellow Yips

Tonight I was taking a picture of Israel on the couch when Gabe, who was laying there beside him, asked "Mommy, do you have a little baby in your tummy?"

"What did you say?" I asked absent-mindedly.

"Do you have a baby in your tummy?"

I laughed out loud. "Why, does it look like I do?"

He squinted at me blearily, and sniffled his cold-sick nose. "Yeah. Do you?"

"No, I do not have a baby in my tummy," I said with amused certainty.

"Maybe if you go eat some toast you can get one in your tummy." Gabe suggested.

"I don't think it works quite that way," I said.

"But I want a sister!" he cried.

LOL. Give me a bit, child. Good gracious. I think I'm holding off on the toast for right now, thanks...

--------------------

Tonight as I was tucking him into bed we had another wife conversation. It went like this:

"Mom, I don't want to die when I grow up."

"Gabe, everything dies. That's how God made it. Plants die, animals die - everything dies."

"Like my teeth would die."

"Yes, your teeth could die. That's why we brush them."

"Yeah, my teeth could de-cay and fall out."

"That's right."

"Hey Mom! I figured out my wife!"

"Oh you did, huh?"

"Yeah. It's going to have hair down." He touched his shoulder.

"Hair down, huh?"

"Yeah, and it's going to have yips (lips) - " he paused. "I didn't figure out her yips. I better figure it out." He thinks. "And she's going to be seven, eight, ten, seven pounds tall." He gazes up at me.

I fight to keep a smile off of my mouth. "Mmmm."

"Yeah, and all our kids are going to go to heaven with us."

I nod. "Yes, they will if they love Jesus."

He nods. "Yeah. And - oh - yeah - she's going to have lellow yips."

"Yellow lips?"

"Yes, and they're going to be really bwight lellow yips."

"Really bright, huh?"

He nods. It's time for his Daddy to come in, so I go off and have my grin.

Scooter.

3 comments:

Kris said...

yeah, my daughter says she likes my puffy tummy. that's always nice to hear.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to this stage!!!
-Sylvia

katy said...

I love these stories! I hope that life is calming down for you a bit... or at least that snot is!