Friday, May 09, 2008

A Day

The baby has slept in this morning due to a 4 AM drink and diaper change bit. I shuffle around the house feeling blessedly well rested. Gabe pads out of our closet where he is still sleeping (another post), hair sticking in all directions. “Mommy,” he says sleepily. “I need a snack.”

******
My two children are currently splashing around, diaperless and muddy in the mud puddles left behind by the rain this morning, and having a gleefully splendid time. My eyes are sort of wide and unblinking at the thought of all the cleanup that awaits me.

******

Israel cranes from his high-chair, waving a short needy arm toward the luring siren of the light switches. “Bah!!” he sputters toward his lunch. He’s having none of it. Baby needs a nap.

******

Gabe sits in the empty diaper box covered with his dinosaur blanket, making train noises. “Mommy!” he calls, “Come sit in my twain wif’ me!” After a sweaty experience yesterday of sitting beneath the dinosaur blanket, I perch atop the “blanket car”. He scuttles down into his box and “talks train”. We are in Henry the Train. In case you were wondering.

******

“But Mommy!” Gabe wails pitieously, “I wan’ to go to the ch’uch wif Daddy!”

”Tonight,” I reassure him. “Daddy said tonight after supper.”

“Ok,” he sniffles.

******

The house is empty. The boys are at the ch’uch wif their Daddy. They played “dwums” and watched You Tube videos on that new-fangledy-dangledy highspeed int-er-net. I could hear them chortling with glee in the background when I called Tim. I was home all by my little ol’ self. Heh heh. This I could get used to.

******

Tonight Gabriel would not settle down to sleep until I had found him a “baby monitor” so he could also “listen” for the baby. The other night I had found a five-sided package of some green line stuff that looked like the baby monitor. Tonight it was MIA. I dug a pack of nine-volt batteries out of the drawer and turned it around to the white square side, “turned on the power”, made the appropriate “sqssshhh”-ing hissing monitor noises with my mouth, and told the boy that he was a good big brother. He eyed the “monitor” with a small satisfied smile and settled down with his Cheezits. Don’t tell anyone I put my son to bed with some Cheezits.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love all your little "momment" you write about how do you remember them? the kids do and say cute things all day ( ok well not all day the half of the day they are not being little monsters =) ) and by the time i go to write them down i have nothing..nothing. where has my semi intellectual mind gone?? did i even spell that right?
how fun that you all got to take a trip away. you are such a great mom i hope you have a wonderful mothers day!! take care~Heidi
ps i love the pic of you and tim. you are a beautiful pregnant woman!

Anonymous said...

whoops that was supposed to be moments =)

Carrie said...

Heidi - I'm glad my children are not alone in their plenteous "monsteresque" moments. :)

Thanks for the comment on the picture. I was just admiring the large red spot on my chin, myself. :) Heh heh heh.

Anonymous said...

i like it even better now that i saw the whole dress! very pretty and i dont think it even needs the band on the bottom. i bet you get lots of wear out of it and you can use it for your next 3 pregnancys to =) ( haha or more if you so choose =) ) every mommy needs a splurge every now and then. you deserve it ( thats what i always tell myself and it makes me feel better =) )Happy Mothers Day!~ Heidi