Friday, May 09, 2008

Samber

Thursday, May 1 Tim and I drove to Virginia with the chillun’s, spent the night, and then left the next morning, sans said chillun's, to drive to Kentucky where Tim’s friend from Asbury College, Sam Cullum, was getting married.

Let me tell you about the awe-inspiring wonders of traveling long distances without the precious cargo of young children. Oh. My. I had forgotten such a life existed.

1. There was sweet silence in the car, aside from when we wanted to talk, the radio, or the air conditioning. Silence. I read, dozed, and watched the spring green mountains roll past my window.

2. I put my seat all the way back (no car seat blocking it) and took a NAP. A NAP.

3. I did not have to repeatedly break up toy squabbles, reassure cranky children, check diapers, root through the toy bag, pour liquids into sippy cups, find suitable snacks in snack bags, sing songs, make faces, hold the dog, or deliver dire warnings to misbehaving youngsters.

4. In the hotel room, I could flop down on the bed all by myself and flip through the channels to watch whatever my little heart desired that did not involve golf, basketball, football, or cartoon animation.

5. I did not have to go to sleep when the boys were tired.

6. I only had to worry about bathing and dressing myself. I even got to paint my nails. As I watched TV. In my quiet room.

7. I did not have to wake up in the night to soothe a fusser.

8. We could go 5 different places in one day with no nap deprived cranksters in the back seat. We moseyed out for a late breakfast to Denny’s, where the only “happy minutes” we had to keep track of were our own. Then we shopped at Target. Then we drove to check out our unsold house. Then we went to get ready for the wedding.

9. I did not have to entertain my children during the 4+ hours of wedding and reception. Sheer bliss. My purse contained no toys, drinks, snacks, nada. Except for me. :) The relief of not having to “caretake” made me very eager to help with the babes in arms that were around.

Endorphins are still shooting off at the memory. It was a wonderous, wonderous thing to experience.

However, I missed my baby boys with a buzzing intensity that made it hard to prolong our departure as planned until Sunday afternoon – we met up with some church friends for lunch. By the time we pulled into the driveway, I was all atwitter and flew out of the car to cover my one child still awake with hugs and kisses. It’s such a Catch-22. You can’t wait to have a break from the 24/7 parental duties, but then you just miss the little critters so much you almost wish they were there!! The little critters, however, were happily thriving at Grandma and Granddaddy’s, with scarcely a thought to the absent parentals.

Anywho, we did have a great time. I was so very happy for Sam and Amber, the happily married couple. It was a lot of fun to catch up with friends, and the extended adult conversations without that “divided brain” thing you do where one side of your brain listens while the other watches the boys were very therapeutic!! I got to see Isaac, Eli, Prema, and Cadence with my own eyes. We had a leisurely Sunday morning breakfast with Josh and Brittany, whom Tim is "joining in holy matrimony" in a few weeks.

The ol’ house looked just the same, just waiting for someone to love it. It was sort of weird to go inside. Neighbor Bud had a TIA while we were gone, Neighbor Jean gained 6 pounds. :) Neighbor Cecil has been mowing our yard, that nice man. Neighbor Cecil’s wife broke her knee and so they have to sell their house, too. We got all caught up.

Sam and Amber, you had a bee-yoo-tee-ful wedding. We are thrilled for you guys. Come visit anytime!! :)

The wedded smooch.
Isaac Cullum (Sam's nephew) peers over his Daddy's shoulder. Apparently, Isaac was eagerly anticipating the thought of playing with Gabe. Who wasn't there. Errrr - oops. Samuel and Amberly Cullum.
Oh look. It's us.

2 comments:

Cottonista said...

Wow--I'm glad you had such an enjoyable trip!

And I know the feeling of leaving your kids behind, and then not being able to resist other people's children wherever you are--changing diapers, holding cranky babies, helping out the mommy in distress! Funny how that works.

Sam said...

Thanks Carrie! It was great to see you guys. We're so glad you came.